Philippines is the world’s leading dive destination for 2020. It bested eight others at the World Travel Awards on November 27, 2020 in Moscow, Russia. It comes as no surprise with 7,641 islands to boot, surrounded by tropical waters teeming with marine life.
The other nominees for this prestigious award were:
- Azores Islands
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Cayman Islands
- Galapagos Islands
- Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Where to go diving?
Among the many dive destinations in the country, Puerto Galera has the most diverse coral reef diving in Asia. Moreover, it is considered as the top destination for scuba diving in the world. Most of the dive sites are off the coast of Sabang. Puerto Galera boasts of 32 dive spots.
Travel Requirements to Puerto Galera
Puerto Galera is located in Oriental Mindoro. It is now open to tourists, both local and foreign, who are already in the country. To curb COVID-19, below are the requirements to enter Puerto Galera:
- Negative RT-PCR test valid 48 hours upon release of the result.
- Point-to-point travel to the island from Berberabe Port in Batangas City to Muelle Port via water taxi services. The cost of a water tax s about 8000 pesos for up to ten persons. Tourists with private vehicles are also allowed to pass through Calapan Port.
- Booking confirmation from a hotel or resort with accreditation from the Department of Tourism (DOT) and Certificate of Authority to Operate (CAO). There are 40 establishments in Puerto Galera with CAO.
- Online registration thru Puerto Galera mobile app. The app maybe downloaded from Playstore or App store.
- Valid ID
Click here where to get RT-PCR test.
Arkipelago Divers and Beach Resort
Arkipelago Divers and Beach Resort is one of the reputable dive resorts in Puerto Galera. It is both a dive school and a resort, accredited by the DOT.
Click here to read about my discovery scuba diving experience.
Watch the promotional video below:
Arkipelago Divers is PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) accredited. You may take the following diving courses being offered:
- Discover scuba dive
- Open water diver course
- Advanced open water diver course
- Awesome fun dives
- Divemaster training
- Instructor courses
These dive offers are inclusive of free equipment and 20% discount. Rates are valid for travel dates from November 6, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
Arkipelago Divers and Beach Resort also has ongoing promotions with their accommodations:
- 2,000 pesos per night for two days and one night
- 13,000 pesos per week for eight days and seven nights
Room rate is good for two persons inclusive of daily breakfast. Rates are valid for travel dates from November 6, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
Aside from scuba diving, Puerto Galera has white sand beaches, scenic waterfalls, a protected mangrove park and unexplored mountain ranges.
Puerto Galera is just one of the many spectacular dive destinations in the country. Truly, Philippines is the world’s leading dive destination.